Tuesday, September 7, 2010

This girl in my film class is an idiot. Part 1

So there's this girl in my Film Studies class, we'll call her Erika, because that's her name. There has never been someone so undeserving of being in a high demand 400 level class than this girl. We did a little, "getting to know you" thing on the first day. At this point she wasn't officially in the class, she was trying to get into it and had come to the first day hoping that she would be able to get a spot. God knows why. The teacher, Professor Collier, (whom I absolutely love because he's passionate about what he teaches and teaches it well and in an interesting and engaging way) asked us to go around and say our name and the best and worst movie we saw over the summer.
The most popular answer for best movie was, predictably, Inception. Erika broke the cycle. It could be generally agreed that every movie that was suggested as the best of the summer, was "good." This is when Erika's turn finally came, she opened her mouth and my opinion of her was forever set.
"Awwwwm, I think my best movie would be Twilight Ellipse... I mean, like, Eclipse, and my worst movie is Dear John." Her reason for hating Dear John was because they fell in love "in like two weeks." Um, it was the whole summer, and how long did it take for Edward to fall in love with Bella you hypocritical moron? I'm not saying Dear John is amazing, but really? "Twilight: Ellipse"?
The next class we were talking about Alfred Hitchcock movies and Collier had a little spacey moment and was asking what the Norman Bates movie was. Obviously, we all said Psycho, but poor little Erika. She turned to me and said "Is he talking about just Psycho Psycho or American Psycho?" Well let's see Film Studies student, we're having an Alfred Hitchcock discussion and the clue was "Norman Bates." I swallowed back the creeping bile in my throat and politely said "Just Psycho."
Today she didn't know who Michael Cera was and when asked about the "mise en scene" of a still of the Buster Keaton movie we saw last week she said, "Well I see some oblique angles?" (there wasn't one) "And there's some vertical lines, and horizontal and then some diagonal... I saw a mixture of things." Wow. Never talk again.
She then granted me my wish, at least for that class period, and fell asleep.
Bitch.

1 comment:

  1. just because she is an idiot, it doesn't make her a bitch.

    ReplyDelete